A BRIEF HISTORICAL OVERVIEW OF THIS MODEL
Introduced in February 1952 and produced through November 1953, the SD7 was the 1500HP six axle big brother to the GP7. Riding on six axles, three-motor trucks, they were designed to offer more starting tractive effort in “road” service than the GP7. EMDs introduction of an A1A freight locomotive led them to design the SD7 from the ground up. In appearance, they are very similar to the GP7 only with a longer hood. The radiators are grouped together at the end of the long hood and not separated as was seen on the GP7. The grill assembly protrudes from the side of the hood whereas with the GP7 the grills are fit flush with the hood. As built, the SD7 very closely resembles the SD9 with the visual spotting features being the boarding steps and a variation of the classification lights. The SD7 (for Special Duty) was a massive locomotive at 60 feet 8 inches from coupler to coupler and weighing 360,000 pounds. It was powered by the same reliable 1500HP 567B V-16 two-cycle diesel engine as the GP7 and F7.
With a maximum speed range between 55 and 89 miles per hour, depending on the gearing ratio selected, and a tractive force of 90,000 pounds, the SD series was here to stay. With the SD7, EMD introduced the “lightweight” Flexicoil truck which enabled these locomotives to be used on branchlines as well as for road service. These trucks were so smooth that the SD7 was compared to “riding in a luxury car.” With the advent of 1954, EMD made a conservative marketing push against the competition with the announcement of their “Nine Line” series. This consisted of the introduction of new locomotive model numbers, the SW9/1200, the F9A/B, the GP9, and the SD9.
- All new Paragon2 sound and control system
- Integral DC/DCC dual mode decoder for ease of operation
- Industry best slow-speed operation in DC and DCC
- Prototypical light operation with headlight, cab light, and rear light
- Authentic EMD SD7/9 sounds! Controllable in DC and DCC.
- All-wheel drive and all-wheel electrical pick-up
- Operating knuckle couplers
- Factory installed engineer and fireman figures
- Near brass-caliber detail at a plastic price
- ABS plastic body with heavy die cast chassis for maximum tractive effort
- Precision gearing optimized for smooth operation
- 5-pole can motor with skew wound armature and dual fly wheels
- Separately Applied Handrails, Ladders, Whistle, and Brass Bell
- Will Operate on Code 70, 83, and 100 rail
- Recommended Minimum Radius: 18 inches
Broadway Limited Imports is proud to introduce Paragon2: The new benchmark for premium HO sound-equipped locomotives. These DC and DCC-Sound equipped locomotives feature the ALL-NEW Paragon2 sound and control system. Each Paragon2 locomotive comes with BLI’s own integral DCC Decoder factory installed. Paragon2 locomotives offer Dual Mode DC and DCC operation with: superb back EMF motor control in DC and DCC, recordable DCC operation for automated playback, the same detail level as the original Paragon Series, and the familiar sturdy maroon box!
Industry-Leading SOUND Features:
- Operates in DC & DCC (use DCMaster for DC Sound)
- Record & Play Operation – Records and plays back sounds and movements once or repeatedly for automatic operation
- 16-bit Sample Rate for exceptional high frequency sound clarity
- Choice of 3 selectable Horns
- Alternate Whistle / Horn where applicable for locomotive with air horn and steam whistle – both the main whistle and alternate can be
- easily played
- Adjustable bell ringing interval for faster or slower bell
- Numerous user-mappable functions with available keys
- Passenger Station Ambient Sounds – Controlled with Function Key
- Freight Yard Ambient Sounds – Controlled with Function Key
- Lumber Yard Ambient Sounds – Controlled with Function Key
- Farm Ambient Sounds – Controlled with Function Key
- Crew Radio Communications – Controlled with Function Key
- Maintenance Yard Ambient Sounds – Controlled with Function Key
- Demo Mode for display and demonstrations
- Grade Crossing Automatic Signal
- Simple Programming with Integral DCC Decoder
- Individually adjustable sound volumes for each effect
- EZ Reset Button for quick return to factory default settings
**Specifications on this page subject to change.